Monday, January 28, 2013

Thinking, this day, so low, too high



 
My skin is scarred and hardened 
from the unrelenting onslaught of life.

I do not fear that which is behind nor before me,
Yet my spirit retains the virtuous wonder of a child
sketching rainbows and mountaintops upon a naked skyline.

Dear Lord, why have you made me unyielding and frail as fleece?

Vociferous and raging
my predators 
scatter -
and when I retire, lazy and exhausted,
I am met by birds, chirping, in far off forest glens.

Why do I care if the sun rises, that the birds sing sweetly or if leaves once again return to their berth?
 
 I do, Dear God, and you.
 You made me this way. 

And as I stand here now, gilded in the most holy armor
I do indeed feel 
                                    a magnetic pull 
towards something 
                                much greater 
                                                         than I.
Something more than
                                              this.
 
My heart is alight, blazing inside of my chest 
and my sternum expands to compensate
as my ribs crack to dust from the weight
and there is nothing I can do but breathe
and pretend
                            that I feel
                                                    perfectly fine
like everyone else
and that this day
                                     is like any other day
and that I belong
                                       right here
living 

         this 
                   life


blankly staring
at those who seem to pretend
that they do not understand
                                                             my voice.

What greater purpose is there for this undeniable notion that I am indeed quite insane? 
 
What if I am the only person
like this
                        so low
too high
                        thinking
madly?
 
I must be
off
      kilter 
for I cannot define:
my skin, scarred and hardened
no fear,
and my spirit  -
retaining a most virtuous wonder.
 
Sketching rainbows and mountaintops upon a naked skyline. 
 
 
© Susan Marie 2013 
 

2 comments:

  1. "there is nothing I can do but breathe, and pretend, that I feel perfectly fine like everyone else"
    I feign coz i have to, coz i know I aint like everyone else.... these are beautiful words my dear Poetess... be blessed

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed bhai and what a rare one you are, thank you for reading and replying and saying what you have - Be Blessed too.

    ReplyDelete