Tuesday, December 21, 2010

then i began looking for you

“The minute I heard my first love story I started looking for you, not knowing how blind that was”  -  Jalāl ad-Dīn Muḥammad Rūmī



Then I began to find you
in the smile of a child
a kind word from a stranger
the sun upon my face
the midnight moon
and her starry companions.

The scent of garden bowers
caused you to be present
and all my senses became acute
upon arrival of spring rain
and summer heat.

I saw you in the flight
of majestic birds
and the death of loved ones.

You showed your face to me
in a mirror of my own
and that of a blind man with cane
wandering aimlessly down the road.

I then recognized my own blindness
and rubbed my weary eyes
fell to the dust of this Earth
and realized
that I, too, am blind
with less sight than the man
not so aimlessly wandering.

And that is when I began searching for you
in the smile of a small child.

© Susan Marie 2010

(Thanks Ali)

No comments:

Post a Comment